While installing/upgrading you may face an error which is known as McAfee error 5, it will show you a message “Access is denied”. In this blog, we’ll tell you the steps about how can you fix McAfee VirusScan error 5 occurred while install/upgrade.
What are the symptoms of McAfee Error Code 5?
- You will get a display message “Error 5”
- Your system may suddenly crash or shuts down with Error 5
- A restart of your system frequently
- Slow and sluggish system
- Freezing of system
What are the causes of McAfee Error Code 5?
- You will get McAfee Virus Scan Error 5 due to incomplete installation and corrupt download of McAfee antivirus software.
- Corrupted Windows registry
- Malware infections or virus infections
- Changes in the McAfee files due to other program installations
- It is very vital to find out the root cause of the error
- Tracking of the exact trigger point of error is important
How to fix this McAfee Virus Scan Error 5?
Scanning of the system
Sometimes, viruses or Malware infections could be a cause of this McAfee error 5. A virus infection corrupts or damages the files. Antivirus scanning is recommended to remove the infections.
Junk or temporary files Cleaning
Junks can slow down your system. So it is recommended to clean temporary and junk files regularly. This could improve your system performance.
- Go to start and open the command prompt window
- Type “cleanmgr” command in the window
- Disk clean up will start cleaning the junks from the system
It is very important to update your system with the latest drivers. A utility like DriverDoc can be used for updating the drivers automatically. DriverDoc utility takes the backup of systems old drivers. For any problems with the update, DriverDoc rolls back all drivers to the previous version.
Windows registry changes
Changing the Windows registry keys associated with Error 5 can solve this error 5. However, be careful while doing registry changes. A small mistake can damage the system. It is highly recommended to use software tools like WinThruster or Registry Cleaner for windows registry changes. Such tools will help to take an automatic backup before any changes.
Below are the steps for manually editing of Windows registry:
- Go to start and Open the command prompt
- In the command window, type command “regedit”
- Identify the Error 5 related entries and take the backup of the key
Windows Updates Installation
Sometimes incomplete updates or corrupted files could be the reason for the Error 5. It is vital to update your system with the latest Microsoft Windows patches. Using uninterrupted internet update the system to the latest version
Reinstalling McAfee antivirus program
Uninstall the existing McAfee antivirus by following the instructions.
- Go to the control panel
- Select the option of programs and features
- Select the McAfee antivirus program and uninstall it.
- Follow the instructions to uninstall McAfee Antivirus
- Use McAfee installable for reinstalling the antivirus program
- Restart your machine once the installation is complete
Clean installation of your Windows
If you are not able to fix the McAfee system error code 5 then the last option is the complete installation of the Windows. First, take a backup of all your files and folders. Then using Bootable DVD or USB with product key, install a fresh copy of Windows.
- How to Resolve McAfee Error Code 5 [Access Denied while Install/upgrade]
- Solved: McAfee Scanning not Working
- [Solved] McAfee Uninstall Error 1921
- Solved: How to Fix McAfee Error 1303?
- [Solved] How Do I Uninstall McAfee LiveSafe from Windows 10
- [Solved] How to Fix McAfee Error 1334? ☏0800 368 9219
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!
Lucy John McAfee, is a technical expert, She loves to write and discuss about new technologies and cyber security, She is also the chief blog editor at McAfee Support Number. She is a regular blogger who keeps a tab on the latest updates in the Security and technology arena. She has visited United Kingdom, United States (USA), Canada, Australia.
You can reach her at Mail | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | LinkedIn | Youtube