Looking to troubleshoot McAfee Error 1406 when installing your McAfee Security? During installation of McAfee antivirus, sometimes you get error code Error 1406. Below are the symptoms of this Error 1406.
What is McAfee Error 1406?
- You might get McAfee Error code 1406 message and it may crash your active program window
- Your machine runs slowly or doesn’t respond to input devices such as a keyboard or mouse
- The frequent crashing of your system
- You system screen gets freeze periodically
- This McAfee error 1406 occurs during the installation process or sometimes during startup or shut down of your machine
- It is very important to find out the exact time and trigger for the error code 1406
- This is very important for troubleshooting the problem
What are the causes of Error 1406?
- The incomplete installation process of McAfee antivirus
- Windows registry corruption or alteration
- Malware infection or Trojan attack on windows system files
- Another program might have deleted important supporting files for McAfee antivirus installation
- Runtime error due to a variety of other issues
Read also : [Resolved] How to Fix McAfee Error 1336?
How to Fix the McAfee Error 1406
1. Manual repairing of registry entries
- You can manually edit the registry entries in the windows registry; however, this is a very risky job
- Go start button and open a command prompt using “ command” in the search box
- Pres CTRL – Shift button and click on the Enter
- Select Yes option and you will get a black box with a blinking cursor
- Type “ regedit” and press enter button
- Take a backup of the registry by clicking on the file and selecting export option In the Save In the list,
- Save the McAfee Antivirus backup key in a folder
- The file will be saved with a .reg file extension.
2. Run full scan
Sometimes malware infections are causes of error 1406. So it is recommended to perform a full scan of your system
3. Use disk clean up and clean your junk or temporary files
- When you are surfing on the internet, you end up collecting junk files or temporary files in the background. By using Disk cleanup tool, you can clean up temporary files, which will be also good for your machines good performance
- Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr)
- Open command prompt and type Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr)
- Disc cleanup will automatically calculate the disc space and it will prompt you with series of checkboxes
- Select the files you want to clean and click on ok
4. Update your Device drivers
- Error 1406 could be due to corrupt files or corrupt drivers.
- Sometimes updating device drivers can solve your issue.
- Now if you are trying to update your drivers manually; a bit risky as well as difficult task.
- It is highly recommended to use tools like Driver update tool or Driver Doc
5. Use System restore and undo the changes
- Search for system restore and hit enter
- Open the system restore, you may need to enter your password or admin password for this
- You will get a wizard to select your restore point
- Restore your computer
6. Uninstall and Reinstall the McAfee antivirus program
You can uninstall the previous files and freshly install the new McAfee antivirus program
7. Reinstall entire windows
A final option is to reinstall the windows operating system and can start again with the fresh system
McAfee Error 1406 Problem with Operating System
- Windows 7
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating 4.7 / 5. Vote count: 74
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!
Lucy John McAfee, is a technical expert, She loves to write and discuss about new technologies and cyber security, She is also the chief blog editor at McAfee Support Number. She is a regular blogger who keeps a tab on the latest updates in the Security and technology arena. She has visited United Kingdom, United States (USA), Canada, Australia.
You can reach her at Mail | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | LinkedIn | Youtube